Monday 18 November 2013

Drifting

I was pointed to these designs for possible inspiration. I feel the urge to comment. The Hummer for starters is a vehicle I have had the hardest time to understand. The original H1 war machine probably made sense as a...war machine. As a civilian vehicle it answered the needs of the genitally challenged and did very little more. While the H2 and H3 were down-sized to fit snugly into two parking spaces in front of your downtown nightclub, by no means did they make any more sense than the H1. The H4 ( I probably don't have the correct photo here, but even if I did all of this would apply mutatis mutandis) will no doubt continue this tradition of senselessness, but their appear to be enough people with poor taste and too much cash for whoever who owns this mark to continue developing it. On a positive note, I do like the tires.

Hummer H4

The BAIC 500 Concept is an interesting one. I actually think that this looks great for what I suspect it to be: a hommage to the Beijing BJ212? If so, I think BAIC have done a splendid job in bringing the BJ 212 into the 21st century with a design that pays tribute and stands tall by itself without simply being a recreation of the original. It does need a little more character to call its own, if you ask me. The blue is a little too Toyota FJ (I know it's only a colour and can be changed, but the asssociation is made the sooner with a choice like this), just as that front plastic fender moulding. The side sculpture is reminiscent of the current generation KIA Sorento and it has other bits and pieces of other brands which I cannot pin-point. All in all, as concept, this is right on. With a little tweaking, it seems ready to go. Inspirational? Likely.

BAIC 500 Concept

The DongFeng. Sounds like a dish I ordered at the local Chinese take-away the other day. It tasted like all the other dishes I had and at the same time like nothing at all. But all joking aside, the DongFeng 31 is China's newest road-mobile, solid fuel (which greatly reduces launch preparation time (15-30 minutes!)) intercontinental ballistic missile (and very well disguised, if I may add to that) developed by the Academy of Rocket Motor Technology (one bad-ass engine). Sources say that it has a range of  8000 + km (after which it self-destructs or less dramatically and very expectedly falls apart) and can carry a single 1000kt warhead (or tow any Airstream trailer). " Approximately 30 DongFeng 31s are estimated to be in service" (so this is not just a prop); "it is possible that this number may have increased since then (really?). Twelve were displayed at the 2009 military parade commemorating the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China". I can almost hear you ask: "which counter to make a down-payment?". It's the one that says" New Hummer, but a lot cheaper".
 
DongFeng
Overall, the Troller TR- X is actually not a bad looking design. I think it has a prety decent silhouette and stance. However, just as the BAIC 500, it is a mash up of a number of other creations. I see Jeep, FJ Cruiser and a front end that looks like a hippo in mid-yawn. It's got a lot of plastic which will of course fall off when driven in ernest and then you're left with the light-weight convertible version. So truly a dual purpose vehicle. Troller is a Brazilian brand that is owned by Ford and is Ford's answer to the Jeep Wrangler. Well done Ford if all you want to do is copy others. I'd move the plant to China.


Troller TR-X Concept


No comments:

Post a Comment